To create a high quality of life, manage your energy, not your time.
Indeed, time is infinite, but your time here on this planet is not.
The choice to create a high quality of life is an excellent way to serve yourself AND serve the planet (and eliminates a lot of wasted time).
This was one of my BIGGEST life lessons…
Early in my non-profit career, I had the opportunity to work with one particular (very intense) lawyer and board member (who taught me a lot, and I’m grateful for it). He would say things to me like, “If you can’t make it Sunday, don’t bother showing up on Monday.” OUCH!
Those days, I dedicated my days to working for the non-profit who’s cause I still believe in and who’s annual donations went up during my time there (most of which were the results of hard work).
The results of hard work included quick and steady promotions all the way up to my Executive Director position! But that’s not all…
The results of hard work also included:
- Long workdays (12 – 14+ hour days, but at the time didn’t really notice the time because I was passionate about the work)…
- Working (most) weekends…
- My health declined (and weight gain in excess of 220 lbs)…
- Friendships dwindled…
- My marriage took 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th place sometimes (we considered ourselves “lucky” if we managed some quality time together)…
- Vacations (ummmm… what vacations? There’s wasn’t TIME for them!)
Back then, “success” came along with guilt and general life dissatisfaction in every other area of my life, (and dangerously close to extinguishing my marriage) in addition to my steady declining health.
I’m grateful that this is no longer my life.
Throughout the years I’ve found similar variations of my story through coaching clients over the years. The greater the success in a career (including being a successful stay-at-home parent)—the greater they felt they were reaching a serious BREAKING POINT—feeling drained, disconnected, frustrated, and frazzled!
By (unintentionally) falling into “time crunch” cycles, you may find yourself…
- SQUEEZING as much you can in the little time you have.
- HABITUALLY over- scheduling, over-working, over-committing, over-loading, and over-whelming yourself— none of which expands the quality of energy or life you deserve.
- If you’re not careful, it’s a slippery slope to “people pleasing” which is a very LOW quality of energy.
- Before you know it, meaning and fulfillment and prosperous flow in all ways are STRIPPED from your life.
Consider managing your energy over managing your time.
By approaching life through the eyes of ENERGY, then a whole new VIBRANT story begins to emerge because it comes from the wellspring of your entire self (your body, your emotions, your mind, and your spirit).
In each of these areas (body, emotions, mind, and spirit), energy can more systematically EXPAND and can be RENEWED, RECHARGED, and even GENERATED!
We Soul Members learn specific techniques on how to do this daily via energy reports, soul coaching, and masterclasses inside Spirituality For The Stubborn Soul.
One aspect to consider (in addition to techniques) is to take a very close look at your life rituals, habits, and behaviors and take action where you can level them up with high vibrating intentions. That is—action done on purpose with purpose—with the end goal being aligned in favor of the greatest and highest good.
That means showing up with high vibrating intentions for the greatest and highest good EVEN in the most unlikely places (for example, when you do the dishes, laundry, driving, buying groceries, etc…).
The better you get at mastering your energy (even and through the unlikely places), the more you’ll see your world transform.
To say the least, you’ll more NATURALLY show up as your best self more often and that best self (your energy) is what continues to expand your life! This is the energy that POSITIVELY influences the lives of others, as well as, positively influences the outcomes of your various endeavors!
The Energy Study:
In 2006, Wachovia bank did an internal study program with a select group of employees. Instead of helping them with work skills and competence, they invested in helping these particular group of employees improve the quality of their energy in four areas: body, emotion, mind, and spirit.
The positive gains varied month by month, but what they discovered is that the employees in this study significantly outperformed the control group for a full year after completing the program (with few exceptions among the participants).
- Physical energy improved by giving the body quality foods, nutrition, and encouraging more movement throughout the day.
- Emotional stamina (learning how to master emotions) improved which naturally improved the quality of their overall energy.
- Mental capacity was strengthened (proving that multi-tasking fragments energy) and undermines productivity.
- Spiritual energy was included which gave employees a greater sense of connection and purpose in their day.
The results of the study found that by managing their energy to achieve a higher quality of energy positively influenced the outcome of their work and improved productivity! Most important was the CONSISTENCY of the results! (Please read that again).
And even better…
The MAJORITY of the employees in this select group found improvement in their personal life, as well!
Everything is energy and energy is EVERYTHING (from personal to professional). The better you get at understanding and mastering your own energy, the better you’ll be at mastering your life!
The result will provide you the quality of life you’ve been seeking!
Until next time…
Explore, Expand, and Enjoy!